Thanks so much to Fraternity Archivist Marilyn Haas, Alpha Rho-Ohio Wesleyan for collecting this information!
Our Historical Timeline
• Whitman College, known very early as Whitman Seminary, was founded in 1859 and named for Marcus Whitman. He and his wife laid the foundation for Christian civilization in the northwest.
• The origin of Alpha Eta started in 1903 with the formation of Gamma Kappa, the first sorority on campus. The object of this association was to inquire into the love affairs of all girls in the hall, but later this motto was changed to "to promote good fellowship among its members."
• This group existed without the official recognition of the faculty until 1911. At that time a committee of overseers decided to put fraternities on two-year probation to prove their worth to the college.
• When approval was granted this committee encouraged the locals to petition national organizations.
• Phi Mu was the first NPC group on campus, but this chapter was inactive when Delta Gamma entered in 1916.
• A Phi Delta Theta faculty member, our George Banta, Sr., and Delta Gammas in town from other chapters were instrumental in interesting the members of Gamma Kappa in Delta Gamma. At the chapter installation, the Phi Delts formed a torch-lit aisle through which the new initiates passed.
• Alpha Eta chapter was installed on September 30, 1916. That makes us over 100 years old!
Check out videos from our Centennial Celebration in Spring of 2016: